All Fleet Management vehicles include a WEX-branded fuel card for the purchase of fuel or service for the assigned asset only. This limits costs to the department and University due to reduced fuel taxes, as well as, the on campus availability of less expensive fuel. Our onsite fueling location can be as much as 60 cents cheaper per gallon when compared to retail locations. When returning short term rental vehicles, please use this fuel card when filling the vehicle onsite before returning the keys to the electronic key box. The fuel card can now be used to cover the costs associated with roadside assistance or off-campus vehicle servicing.
WEX Fuel Card – Points to Remember
- Purchase fuel at Fleet Management – Our fuel is delivered in bulk to our location and is often 40 to 60 cents cheaper per gallon.
- Record the accurate odometer – Do not include the decimal! The odometer entries are very valuable for fleet data collection and is closely tied to our service schedules.
- Do not purchase premium fuel – All Fleet Management owned vehicles are designed to operate using the regular grade fuel – E10.
- Use the appropriate card – It is very important that fuel for vehicles is not purchased on a temp card. Vehicle cards are only for fuel for vehicles. Temp cards are only for bulk purchases (5 gallon containers, lawn mowers, etc.)
- Do not use a temp/bulk card to fill Fleet Management owned vehicles. The service schedule for your vehicle is tied to the amount of fuel burned by the engine. If fuel is purchased through others means, it will affect servicing.
- The WEX fuel card can also be used for vehicle maintenance and service needs.
In situations requiring roadside assistance or servicing, the WEX fuel card can be used in tandem with our new roadside assistance vendor – National Auto Club – to pay for service or repairs.
Our WEX fuel card provider offers two helpful tools to help locate stations while off campus: the Wex Fuel Location Site and the Wex Connect App for your smart phone. You can search for fuel or service based on city, state, or zip code. It can also list locations that offer diesel fuel. If you use the app, it can find the closest station based on your location.